This is my space to share my quest to collect as many broken branches as I can in my fractured family tree which resembles a bramble bush more then a proper tree. As I go forward in this blogging journey I hope to share how I have searched far & wide for family - with no regard for where they come from or if I should really want them.
You can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family you know!

Friday, September 27, 2024

X4 Great Grandpa ~ Solomon Bayes

 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024: Week 39 (HOMESTEAD)


I decided to look for the homestead of my Bayes relatives in Campbellford, Ontario. 

According to the 1861 census my 4th great grandparents (with their 12 children were living at "Haldimand, Northumberland, Canada West".

Solomon Bayes
Birth 26 NOV 1815 • Hunworth, Norfolk, , England
Death 25 OCT 1882 • Northumberland, , Ontario, Canada
and
Mary Ann Tuck
Birth 15 JAN 1823 • Sharrington, Norfolk, England
Death 28 JAN 1908 • Cramahe, Northumberland County, Ontario, Canada


Their children on the census were: James, Martha, Solomon, William George, Edward, Emily, Adelaine, Deanah, Rebecca, and Celia. Mary Ann. Rufus, Georgina, and Henrietta were born after 1861.

I then began looking for where exactly they lived, but was not able to pinpoint an actual address.

The census notes they lived in a one story log house, and only their family lived in it. The 1861 census didn't ask if they owned or rented their home that I could find.

I looked at Library & Archives Canada, but was not able to find a land grant for them listed searching by:
- last name Bayes & Bays
- first name Solomon (with a variation of the last name)
- Haldimand Township (with a variation of the name)

I then looked at follow-up census, and was still not able to identify exactly where.

BUT ....

all was not lost

I decided to search for the history of Campbellford, and discovered the local library's archives and historical socities.

I now have many digital sources to look further for my family history.

Learning more about my Bayes ancestors.

My great grandfather, Ernest Elmer Bayes who was known as Hap
Great grandma Rose Honor (nee Dendy) Bayes
Grandma Amy, and her brother Fred



Still looking for the family homestead!!! 



This is why I search - 


Cause ... 





You can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family you know!







***Any errors are my own. Please send me any updates or corrections via the comments at the bottom of this blog post***



Photos:


Personal


Links:

Amy Johnson Crow, 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge
https://www.amyjohnsoncrow.com/52-ancestors-in-52-weeks/



If you reference or use my blog posts in any way please
include a link to the specific blog and
credit http://somehowrelated.blogspot.com/
My blogs are ©Deborah Buchner, 2014 forward.
All rights reserved.
Please & Thank you!

______________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment