This is my space to share my quest to collect as many broken branches as I can in my fractured family tree which resembles a bramble bush more then a proper tree. As I go forward in this blogging journey I hope to share how I have searched far & wide for family - with no regard for where they come from or if I should really want them.
You can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family you know!

Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Robert Graham ~ Scottish Carrier

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 18 (Road Trip)


My X4 great grandfather, Robert Graham was born the 16th of January in 1814  in Thornhill, Closeburn, Dumfriesshire, Scotland. His parents were Peter Graham (born about 1788) and Ann(e) Kirk (born about 1785). I have found records for 3 more children born to Peter & Ann (nee Kirk) Graham. I have not been able to find any other records to date, but am confident these are my people. I have a DNA match to Robert's brother James' descendants. No match to either of their sisters (Mary & Elizabeth) at this time. Peter Graham and Ann Kirk are one of my brick walls. I have no record of their birth, marriage or death. Until I found the DNA match to James' descendants I wasn't confident they were actually my X5 great grandparents. I have taken them out of my tree to start researching again only to put them back into my tree at least 5 times. After the DNA match appeared I put a note in their records reminding me to not take them out. I am reasonably exhausted that the research is correct. 

Robert married Susanah (Susan) Hamilton on the 4th of June 1842 in Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire, Scotland. Susanah (Susan) was born on the 3rd of November 1814 in Carnwath, Lanarkshire, Scotland.  Susan was the 5th child of 9 children born to Andrew Hamilton (2 Sep 1775 - 28 Jan 1836/37) and Marion Weir (14 Jul 1781 - 17 Aug 1826).

Robert and Susan had 9 children. Their son Robert is my X3 great grandfather who was married to Margaret/Maggie Burt. Their son Robert is my X2 great grandfather who was married to Jessie Crawford Gray, and they immigrated to Canada in 1911. Their son Robert (known as Bob/Bobby) is my great grandfather who was married to Nellie (Con)Cannon. I am the granddaughter of Robert and Nellie's only son John Robert (known as Jack/Jacky).

Have you gotten lost in the long line of Robert Grahams that I descend from?  I know I have been lost among the Robert Grahams many times while researching. 

Now back to Robert Graham, my x4 great grandfather. 

In the 1851 Census we find Robert and family living in Firdon farming 11 acres.


Are you asking what does this have to do with ROAD TRIP yet?  I am so glad you asked.

By 1961 we find Robert and family have moved. They are now residing on Muir Row, but still in Lanarkshire. Their parish is no longer Lesmahagow. They are now in the Carnwath parish. Robert's occupation is no longer a farmer. He is now a Carrier. Robert ROAD TRIPPED everyday all day, and as the future census ecords show he continued road tripping for many years. 






Finding  Robert's occupation assisted in my researching his family. I was able to confirm that the census records I was finding were still for the right family because of Robert's occupation. In 1871 and 1881 he is listed as a Carrier still, and in 1891 he's a Retired Carrier.  

In 1871 they have moved again, and are residing at Heathland. Their parish is still Carnwath. They now have a granddaughter residing with them. This new piece of information provided more clues in my searching. 





By the next census Robert and Susan are 65 years old, and living alone at the same residence. 







By 1891 Robert is retired. He and Susan are still living at the same residence just the two of them.





Neither Robert or Susan can be found in any future census because Robert died the following year in 1892 and Susan in 1894


Robert Graham
January 16th 1814 ~ March 24th 1892
Thornhill, Dumfrieshire, Scotland ~ Forth, Lanarkshire, Scotland


Susanah (Susan) Hamilton

November 3rd 1814 ~ April 11th 1894
Carnwath, Lanarkshire, Scotland ~ Forth, Lanarkshire, Scotland

At the time of their death their grandson (my X2 great grandfather) was 8 when his grandfather died, and 11 when his grandmother died. Their grandson grew up about 9 miles from his grandparents. Its seems the family stayed fairly close together until their grandson grew up, married, and moved his family to Canada. One of Robert and Jessie's sons left Canada, and headed back to the United Kingdom (residing in England). It appears as though the rest of the family stayed in Canada, but I am still searching. 



Jack (my grandfather) and his father Robert (great grandson to Robert  & Susan [nee Hamilton] Graham) who was known as Bob/Bobby
(born Holytown Scotland in 1906, and immigrated to Canada in 1911) 


Follow the paper trail to ensure a reasonable exhaustive search.




This is why I search - 

Cause ... 








You can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family you know!



***Any errors are my own. Please send me any updates or corrections via the comments at the bottom of this blog post***



Sources:

Scotland Census records, Retrieved May 1st 2019 from Ancestry.ca


If you reference or use my blog posts in any way please
include a link to the specific blog and
credit http://somehowrelated.blogspot.com/
My blogs are ©Deborah Buchner, 2014 forward.
All rights reserved.
Please & Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment