This is my space to share my quest to collect as many broken branches as I can in my fractured family tree which resembles a bramble bush more then a proper tree. As I go forward in this blogging journey I hope to share how I have searched far & wide for family - with no regard for where they come from or if I should really want them.
You can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family you know!

Saturday, July 30, 2022

Softball ~ Joining the Team

Recently we traveled across Canada to visit our adult kids. 

We had the best time. 

They cleared their schedules to spend time with us. 

My husband and I take this as a parenting win. 

Our 2 sons and their girls enjoy spending time with us. 

What an amazing gift that is.


When our oldest invited us to join their softball game we were unsure. 

I was never very good at softball, and my husband hasn't played for almost 40 years. 

Our oldest said it didn't matter. 

He explained their team is inclusive of all abilities. 

Dad decided to join the team for the night. 

Mom decided to be the official photographer. 

We were told the walk was pretty short which turned out to be true for regular city walkers, but for the old folks it wasn't actually true. 

There was some whining of 'are we there yet' - I didn't even apologize. 
It was payback for those childhood road trips!


On the way we collected teammates. 

One explained that when our son first invited her to join the team she replied they didn't want her because she was always picked last in school. She said he replied that they wanted her for sure. She said that in all the time they have played she always gets her turn in all the positions & everyone cheers her on. She said she love getting out and playing softball even though she still not very good. She LOVES that she is a part of the team. 

This mama bear was so proud listening to how our child is making a difference in the world one ball team at a time. 

Being inducted to the team


Learning the rules & what it means to be on 'dick deck'


Our son - the pitcher


Look at that reach


Our daughter-in-law 


Third Baseman - Chris, Short Stop - our oldest

Is it beer time yet?


Evidence that you can still play after a 40 year absence







The feeling you get when you spend time with your kids, and you know they honestly want to hang out with you is amazing - knowing it's not out of obligation! 



We had such a GREAT time with our kids & wished they didn't live so far away!!!




This is why I search - 


Cause ... 





You can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family you know!







***Any errors are my own. Please send me any updates or corrections via the comments at the bottom of this blog post***



Links:

Amy Johnson Crow, 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge
https://www.amyjohnsoncrow.com/52-ancestors-in-52-weeks/



If you reference or use my blog posts in any way please
include a link to the specific blog and
credit http://somehowrelated.blogspot.com/
My blogs are ©Deborah Buchner, 2014 forward.
All rights reserved.
Please & Thank you!

______________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment