This is my space to share my quest to collect as many broken branches as I can in my fractured family tree which resembles a bramble bush more then a proper tree. As I go forward in this blogging journey I hope to share how I have searched far & wide for family - with no regard for where they come from or if I should really want them.
You can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family you know!

Monday, April 1, 2024

Chris Was Right ~ Family Traditions

 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024: Week 14 (FAVOURITE RECIPE)


Easter 2024 saw a change in our meal planning. 

When our kids were small I did all the cooking including the feast type meals. Once I returned to full time work Chris shared cooking duties, but took over all feast meal preparation. Over the last few years I have been in a support role - I do all the sides, and he does the turkey & ham. 

He always does a rotisserie ham on our Bar-B-Q for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. Thanksgiving & Christmas includes a turkey done in the oven as well.

This year Chris was doing yard maintenance & pressure washing in the area of the Bar-B-Q so I offered to make the ham in the oven. 

After a bit he reluctantly agreed, BUT first there was a discussion about the Scalloped Potatoes.

Chris asked me if I was putting cheese on top. I said I wasn't planning on adding cheese. He immediately launched off with a discussion about the importance of cheese in scalloped potatoes. I pointed out that traditional scalloped potatoes don't have cheese. 

As he continued talking I pictured him with a 'change my mind' protest sign.


Next he asked if I was going to use the mandolin he proudly bought - I said 'No. The potatoes need some meat on them.' The look on his face clearly showed he didn't agree. 

The scalloped potatoes discussion finally ended with my statement  'if you want them done your way then you are going to have to do them'. 

As we sat down to dinner a few hours later I realized special feast foods are rooted in memory from our family of origin. 

The scalloped potatoes, and carrots were from my childhood. 

The yam and squash were from Chris', 

The ham was from neither: we both grew up in families that boiled the ham before putting it in the oven to bake. 

My mother always put pineapple rings with a maraschino cherry in the middle all over the ham with a brown sugar glaze. 


We began our marriage with hams boiled before baking with pineapple rings & cherries exactly as my mother made them.

By the time our children were growing up Chris was the master ham maker on the BBQ. He included grilled fresh pineapple as a nod toward my childhood memories. He made his own glaze that is a secret family recipe - I don't believe he has passed to our children yet.

After thinking about him grilling pineapple for me I decided to make the scalloped with a cheese sauce & grated cheese on top. 

As we ate dinner Chris informed me he had only been asking for cheese on top, but not in the potatoes. 

The recipe in the 5 Roses Cookbook my mother gave me agrees with Chris. 

more about this cookbook in a previous blog
Mom's Christmas Baking ~ When Substitutions Will Not Do

It seems his tradition was the right one.

In following the traditions of both of our families we will be eating leftovers for days before it all goes into a pot of soup.



 

You heard it here 1st - Chris was RIGHT!!! 



This is why I search - 


Cause ... 





You can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family you know!







***Any errors are my own. Please send me any updates or corrections via the comments at the bottom of this blog post***



Photos:

Personal

Scalloped Potatoes, 5 Roses Cookbook, Lake of the Woods Milling Company Limited, 1983 Pg 99

more about this cookbook in a previous blog - Mom's Christmas Baking ~ When Substitutions Will Not Do
https://somehowrelated.blogspot.com/2023/12/taste-of-home-my-mothers-pies.html



Links:

Amy Johnson Crow, 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge
https://www.amyjohnsoncrow.com/52-ancestors-in-52-weeks/



If you reference or use my blog posts in any way please
include a link to the specific blog and
credit http://somehowrelated.blogspot.com/
My blogs are ©Deborah Buchner, 2014 forward.
All rights reserved.
Please & Thank you!

______________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment