This is my space to share my quest to collect as many broken branches as I can in my fractured family tree which resembles a bramble bush more then a proper tree. As I go forward in this blogging journey I hope to share how I have searched far & wide for family - with no regard for where they come from or if I should really want them.
You can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family you know!

Friday, March 15, 2024

X2 Great Uncle Mikita Pellack ~ An Achiever

 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024: Week 11 (ACHIEVEMENT)


In considering who to write about for this week's prompt I decided to look for names that mean ACHIEVEMENT.

I discovered the name Mykyta means 

"A man who has the capability of winning in every field; A winner" 1

My X2 great Uncle Mikita Pellack came to Canada in 1907 with his wife, 2 daughters, and his mother (Mary). My great grandparents followed them in 1909 with their 3 oldest children. My grandfather was the first child born on the homestead in Canada.

I am Canadian because X2 great Uncle Mikita created a successful life in Canada for himself that encouraged my great grandfather to follow. 

Their achievements (and all of mine) are because of Mikita's willingness to leave all he knew behind in Ukraine for a better life in Canada. 

The local history book Our Courageous Pioneers provides a look at his life.




I am proud to claim this X2 great Uncle who was an achiever in all things he touched. 

It took me 20 years to prove that my grandfather Clyde Robertson really was Max Pellack. 

It was this mystery that began my search for where I fit into my own family story. 

That proof came when my father and I DNA matched to the great grandson of my X2 great Uncle Mikita.

This confirmation has been my greatest achievement in genealogy researching to date.

In looking at the life X2 great Uncle Mikita created in Canada there is no doubt he fit the meaning of his name perfectly. 



When the name fits!!! 



This is why I search - 


Cause ... 





You can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family you know!







***Any errors are my own. Please send me any updates or corrections via the comments at the bottom of this blog post***



Footnotes:

1  Mykyta Name Meaning. Baby Names. Mom Junction. Retrieved March 15th 2023 from https://www.momjunction.com/baby-names/mykyta/


Sources:

Mykyta Name Meaning. Baby Names. Mom Junction. Retrieved March 15th 2023 from https://www.momjunction.com/baby-names/mykyta/

Our Courageous Pioneers : History of Gronlid and Surrounding Districts of Argus, Athol, Edenbridge, Freedom, Maryville, Murphy Creek, Sandhill Creek, Taelman, Taras, Teddington,." (Melfort Saskatchewan: Phillips Publishers , 1991)


Photos:

Personal


Links:

Amy Johnson Crow, 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge
https://www.amyjohnsoncrow.com/52-ancestors-in-52-weeks/



If you reference or use my blog posts in any way please
include a link to the specific blog and
credit http://somehowrelated.blogspot.com/
My blogs are ©Deborah Buchner, 2014 forward.
All rights reserved.
Please & Thank you!

______________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment