This is my space to share my quest to collect as many broken branches as I can in my fractured family tree which resembles a bramble bush more then a proper tree. As I go forward in this blogging journey I hope to share how I have searched far & wide for family - with no regard for where they come from or if I should really want them.
You can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family you know!

Saturday, January 29, 2022

DNA & Geography ~ This Bramble Bush

This week's prompt CURIOUS is exactly how I came to dedicating time and money to the research of where this Bramble Bush came from. 

Without curiousity I would never have wondered where I came from, and discovered that my grandfather was not who he presented as. 

Without curiousity I would not have done Ancestry DNA. 

Without Ancestry DNA I would have continued believing I was Scottish, English & a bit Dutch. 

Without curiousity I would have abandoned my ancestors who gave me so much more than what I thought I knew. 

I really wanted to ensure our children grew up knowing where they came from. 

Where my ancestors originated

Where my husband's ancestors originated

Our children are a blend of my husband and myself

They received half from their father


And half from me


When my results came in the first thing I realized is that I had no Dutch heritage. It would seem my love of salted licorice has nothing to do with my ancestors. 

BUT wait --- salty black licorice is also traditionally found in Sweden & Denmark, and I do love Swedish Berries .... HERITAGE!!!

This is their heritage!

The research I do today is a legacy for our children. 

Someday when they are interested, and I'm not here to tell them -  this blog will tell the tale. 



This is why I search - 


Cause ... 






You can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family you know!









***Any errors are my own. Please send me any updates or corrections via the comments at the bottom of this blog post***




Photos:

DNA results, Ancestry,  Retrieved January 28th 2022 from Ancestry.

Links:

Amy Johnson Crow, 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge
https://www.amyjohnsoncrow.com/



If you reference or use my blog posts in any way please
include a link to the specific blog and
credit http://somehowrelated.blogspot.com/
My blogs are ©Deborah Buchner, 2014 forward.
All rights reserved.
Please & Thank you!

________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment